Here is Lillian with her pie:
And her recipe (adapted from a recipe at Allrecipes.com ):
Caramel Apple PieIngredients:
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (I just use the store-bought Pillsbury Pie Crusts. They're easy, and you can find them in the refrigerated section).
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water (for a different taste, use orange juice instead of water).
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 or 6 apples (Granny Smiths are my favorite, but if you have some apples lying around, that'll work).
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch o' cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, or any other spice you like.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, vanilla extract and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Add spices directly to the apples. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.