Thursday, March 14, 1985

Campaign Advice from Uncle Mac

A much earlier painting of Uncle Mac by Ralph Wolfe Cowan (from my iPhone photo)


Sheila’s Uncle Mac (husband of Wilma, the sister of Sheila's mother Mavis) sent me this letter today (and I would pull it from an old box of papers in 2026) and enclosed a helpful <wink> guide to campaigning in case I ever had a second political race. I lost the 1984 race. What a shame I didn't have this important advice a year earlier!  

Broadus “Mac” McAfee’s letter — March 14, 1985

BROADUS McAFEE
6776 WINTERSET GARDENS RD.
WINTER HAVEN, FL 33880
(813) 324-7146

March 14, 1985

Mr. Terrell Shaw
608 Cedar Avenue
Rome, Georgia 30161

Dear Terry,

Congratulations on the winter issue of the Society Quarterly, the first under your editorship. Changes in format and method of printing enhance the readability; altogether a meaty issue. You had to spend considerable time to put it all together. Of course you had help and encouragement in your own household from Sheila and Brannon looking over your shoulder, lending a hand and encouragement. Also other officers and members helped in many ways. Will look forward to Brannon’s first article in print.

I read with interest the article featuring STEAMBOATS ON THE COOSA, recalling with some nostalgia the time 70 odd years ago when smaller steamboats made their way from Rome up the Oostanaula-Coosawattee rivers as far as Carters Quarters. The landing at Carters was near where the L&N railroad, and the old Tennessee Road, now Hghy. 411 cross the Coosawattee. A cousin, Olen McAfee, and wife Geneva, own now and have for many years the old Freeman Plantation of some 640 acres. Two lots, 160 acres each, lie along the river just west of the old landing. At one time or another McAfee’s have lived here as renters or owners since the late 1890’s. Cotton was a main crop. One 100 acre river bottom field produced 100 bales of cotton yearly. In earlier days the cotton was shipped by river steamer to the market at Rome. When steamboat service ended much of the cotton was hauled to the market in Rome by mule and wagon. In the early 1900’s we lived about 6 miles crow flight distance to the south. When the wind was favorable we could hear the sound of the steamboat whistle as it sounded for departure from the landing.

When we were visiting Mavis and J. last Thanksgiving, Wilma had with her, along with some old family pictures, a couple of newspaper ads incident to your race for the state legislature. Added to this by me were some comments, titled RUNNING FOR OFFICE LOCAL STATEWIDE NATIONAL. Wilma overlooked them.

The comments were put together during the 1980 election year. I have no recall of the source or sources. They read like a pot pourri of the combined efforts of Art Buchwald, Andy Rooney—maybe Irma Bromback. Portions must have been extracted. I should have noted sources but did not.

In any event a copy is enclosed for such use as you see fit in your next bid for political office.

Sincerely,
Mac

(OVER)

As a postscript to the foregoing page may I add that Mavis and J. are planning to pay us a visit for few days arriving on the 26 of this month. 

We also send best wishes and love to each of you, Sheila, Brannon and Terry. 

 

[Handwritten below the postscript]

 And LOVE from me, too.

Aunt Wilma


HINTS ON RUNNING FOR ELECTIVE OFFICE

LOCAL—STATEWIDE—NATIONAL

BROADUS McAFEE
6776 WINTERSET GARDENS RD.
WINTER HAVEN, FL 33880
(813) 324-7146

When running for local office, such as Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, School Superintendent, and others, you don't need a platform. If you are of reasonable physical appearance and can talk fairly well; if you haven't been turned out of the church for fornication or adultery with the church organist; never been indicted by the Grand Jury, you can run on your reputation and handshaking ability. Bad breath is a handicap in baby kissing.

RULE 1. Always deal in vague generalities. Never be specific. Use terms such as: Things are in a mess and they must be brought under control, but don't say what things and don't say how. If the news media tries to put you down, speak in the ageless politicianese, such as: Well, I am glad you asked that, but it would be premature for me to get into specifics at this point. However, once I am in office I will make a thorough study of the situation and establish priorities.

RULE 2. THINGS TO BE IN FAVOR OF. MOTHERHOOD. Where would we be without it? God and prayer in schools, especially if you are running in the Bible Belt. It doesn't matter what office you are after, even the tax collector has to be in favor of morality. Also, be in favor of setting priorities. It doesn't matter what order, just favoring priorities is a plus. Be tough on crime. Strongly favor free enterprise, tax reduction, senior citizens, teenagers, pets, Chambers of Commerce, and bear down on the phrase Common Sense. The voters think they have it, and don't overlook Free Masons, and at the right places, the Knights of Columbus.

RULE 3. THINGS TO BE AGAINST. GOVERNMENT WASTE. Every candidate for office during the past 100 years has been against government waste until he got elected. You'd think government waste would have been eliminated by now. It hasn't. Be against it. Also be against conservatives, free business lunches, communists, Iran, marijuana, bureaucrats, and the federal government in general.

RULE 4. FENCE STRADDLING. Cultivate this. It's best to avoid controversy. You can do this by an old technique. Lets say you are asked how you stand on the Equal Rights Movement, and you don't want to make either side mad, especially your wife. Come up with a meaningless statement such as: I am in favor of women getting a fair deal in the job market, and I would hire a qualified woman, but I am not sure that ERA is the answer. Always be careful how you straddle. Falling off can be dangerous.

RULE 5. THE RIGHT IMAGE. If you are running for national office, say President, remember that outside New York City, San Francisco, and others that are on the brink of bankruptcy, you can't get elected running as a liberal candidate. In many states being labeled as a liberal is a kiss of death. This situation enables Democrats to run for office sounding like Republicans. Always stand for the common man. Every voter considers himself a common man. It would be refreshing to meet a candidate who would say: Well, I actually represent several special groups who have supported me over the years, and I never forget to return their favors when I am in office. Avoid this at all costs.

RULE 6. OPEN DOOR POLICY. This is a must. It goes over well. Promise an open door policy in which you will listen to the public and answer questions of the press. It sounds good and all those common men which you have recognized will appreciate the possibility of going through the door. You can be out or the door can be locked when he calls.

RULE 7. THE RIGHT MESSAGE. Assuming that you are not running for President, your platform, if you adopt one, isn't going to be scrutinized by the press. There follows a platform that should be successful in all 50 states:

“I, (name goes here) am a family man. I stand for responsible, experienced leadership. The government should not cause problems, it should solve them; it should be responsible to the public. I will solve problems, not cause them. I offer a common sense approach to government, one that will end needless waste. I recognize that public office holders are employees of you, the people, and I will never lose sight of that fact.”

August 25, 1980.


No comments:

Post a Comment