Friday, August 17, 2007

MacroPhoto

Here are the results from a few experimental pictures taken with the macro feature of my new Canon S3IS. (Click on each pic to see the full size version.)

Logan, one of my fourth-graders, brought in his caterpillar he has raised from an egg at his house.


We got out the Princeton Field Guide to caterpillars and found this strange and beautiful fellow.



Logan mentioned that he had seen green ones as well on the same plant. I was interested to find that this guy's brothers and sisters can be very diverse in appearance.

Best we can figure, he will metamorphose into a Banded Sphinx (Eumorpha fasciata) moth.

Our campus includes several clumps of Maypops (as I called them in my youth) or more commonly, Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata).







Here's the Passion Flower fruit.



Passion Flowers are the host plant for Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) caterpillars.





Look at the proboscis on this little Skipper!



I'm gonna have fun with this camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment