Friday, May 03, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Rome High Chorus Concert

Sheila and I ran ito my former student Kendra Harris at Kroger yesterday morning and she mentioned that Avery and the choral students at Rome High School would have their final concert of the year that night. She invited us and as old RHS chorus/theater parents we were quick to say we'd try to make it. And we did. Lillian met us there. We got there in time for the first song, but not in time for a seat.
Standing room only at a high school choral concert?!
The program opened with "Premium Blend" the RHS a cappella ensemble. One phrase into their performance and we understood why the place was sold out. What creativity. What precision. And there was Kadison Beaver (Jenifer Beaver's son) on percussion, but not the usual percussion. His was vocal percussion. What fun. And it was arranged by two of the students, as were two other songs.
Then the RHS Chorus took the stage with songs including a nice rendition of the old rock & roll standby, "Why do fools fall in love".
Next up the Men's Ensemble wowed us with four numbers. My favorite was "Lambscapes" a four-movement tongue-in-cheek, hilarious set of classical spoofs of "Mary had a little lamb"
Next up was the Women's Ensemble. They started off with the old Leadbelly song, "Bring me a little water Silvie". Gorgeous.
The one disappointment of the evening was the fact that the RHS State Champion Boys' Quartet only sang one song, "Hello, Mary Lou". Their harmonies, timing, interplay was perfection and a whole lot of fun.
The mixed emsemble was next and like the quartet left us wanting more as they sang only one number - the unofficial South African anthem, "Tshotsholoza". I especially enjoyed the enthusiastic and joyful counterpoint to the larger choir sung by Nick Ehmann.
The combined choirs filled the stage and circled the audience in song with the beautiful "In Remembrance" and then a Cuban folk song.
The Chorale finished the program with four outstanding pieces. I especially enjoyed "Jai Ho!" which featured a dance by Juhi Varshney attired in a colorful Indian costume. But the grand finale was a moving tribute to the senior class, "We Stand Strong", composed by one of the performers, James Douglas.
RHS choral director Jennifer Williams could have had no sweeter send off as she passes the direction of the Rome choral program to other hands. I'm glad that Lillian, who benefitted from Mrs. Williams skills, was there for her final concert at Rome.
The Rome City Schools choral program has grown into a state of accomplishment that some colleges would be pleased to have. These wonderful performances owe a lot to Mrs. Williams, but the students were well prepared for high school chorus by an outstanding middle school program led by Susan Allen Campbell.
Bravo Rome High!

Comments

Cara Loelle Reichel First of all - it seems like Kroger is the hottest gossip spot in Rome. Second of all -- how nice to hear this!

Angela Flannigan McRee So glad you were able to make it. I have awesome students in that concert every year, and it's always on a Thursday night while I am in lessons!!!!! I was hoping she would move it this year, but no. So glad you loved it. on another note, I did run into 3 friends at Kroger this afternoon....too funny!

Adaïr AIis I'm so sad I missed it. I love their concerts! They have grown so much since Lillian and I were there! Its amazing.

Jenifer Beaver Thank you for this and for noticing my son. It was jaw dropping for sure. There were seats next to me on the front:) "Bring Me A Little Water Silvie" made me cry.

Margaret Geer Roland Thanks for such a great review!

Kendra L Harris Thank you guys so much for coming! I am continually in awe of our kids and Jennifer (Williams).. I have never, ever heard such amazing music come from a high school choir. I told someone once, sure you can take chorus in school.. but at Rome, through the direction of Mrs. Williams, this chorus takes you to places you never would have dreamed. 

We have SO many talented, amazing kids... it is truly mind boggling... and over the years, as Chorus Booster Club President, Co Pres and so forth, and after going on countless trips with our wonderful kids (most recently this past weekend to Washington, DC and Virginia, where they performed on the lawn of the World War 2 Memorial and won best overall in a "Music in the Parks" competition).. I have come to truly love these kids and Mrs. Williams. 

Aside from the utmost respect I have for ALL of them, I stand amazed not only at the true talent we have at our school.. just sheer, raw talent..but also at the lengths to which Jennifer takes them. Sure, you can recognize talent in a student. You can try to encourage them. But jennifer has seJlflessly devoted her life, and her time, to making these kids be the very best possible. It's funny because she doesn't understand why people think she is so great.. she is just "doing her job"... right. I cannot explain it.. never have been able to.. but Jennifer Williams has this certain sort of power to bring out the best in everyone that she comes into contact with.. and we love her so very much for that and so very much more. 

I thank you, again for coming. And thanks for helping me make Jennifer's sendoff a huge success.

------------------

From Kendra Harris's Facebook:

Oh WOW. I can't believe that's over. Last night was a HUGE success... greater than I had even imagined! Thank you SO much to all those who came out and supported Rome High Chorus in our final concert for the year... and to support the always amazing, always stellar Jennifer Williams! I think we "sent her off" with a bang!

🙂 Thanks again everyone! And a special thanks to Stefanie Kersey Cash and Terrell Shaw for coming out! 🙂 I hope you guys enjoyed it! I couldn't be more proud of these kids! (Well, one in particular)! 🙂 I am still boo hoooing today.

Comment:
Sheila Matthews Shaw
The concert was fabulous! I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment