Saturday, September 07, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Entomology Walk

All three of these fellows were on the Riverwalk tonight between Ridge Ferry Park and the Fuddruckers.



I think I detected life in this bloated caterpillar. He was right in the middle of the asphalt Riverwalk. Is he beginning to pupate? I picked him up and put him on a bench to photograph. Anybody know him?


Some sort of Tussock Moth caterpillar I suspect. Are the capsules some sort of parasite?
Update: Sycamore Tussock Moth caterpillar (Halysidota harrisii) infested with parasitoid wasp cocoons, perhaps Cotesia congregata.


Sycamore Tussock Moth caterpillar (Halysidota harrisii) infested with parasitoid wasp cocoons, perhaps Cotesia congregata.


Another Tussock Moth Caterpillar, I guess. Orgyia definita, perhaps or a kinsman?
Update: Nope. Ruddy Dagger Moth, Acronicta rubricoma
Found near Chieftains Museum on the Riverwalk, Rome GA.







No comments:

Post a Comment