Sunday, April 17, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Bear on the Square



During the two o’clock set I told two short tall tales: Preacher Bailey’s Teeth, and Yellowtail. Anthony Vinson followed that with his version of an old story (but new to me) involving his Uncle Crack and a very unfortunate bunny.
Gwen and Anthony both were outstanding, and we had a large and enthusiastic audience. Fun!
In the afternoon we had thirty minutes of open mike and we had several great tales including those from Mike Mount and Denise DesSoye.
Thanks to Debbie From and Melanie Knauff for organizing and emceeing.
David Matheny
I knew a Preacher Dewey Bailey from Cave Spring...
Terrell
I know Dewey, too. This is a different Bailey. I probably should change his name in my story since I made up the story (based on an old "preacher joke". The Preacher Bailey I used in this story has been gone now for many years and was much loved by my whole family. A kind and smart man.

I shared the stage at noon with Gwen Napier. Gwen told a love story about a blind girl and a man who cared more for her than his own sight. 
Since I had a new audience I enjoyed telling a pair stories I love to tell together, the first a personal tale from our first night in our little log cabin in Chubbtown, and the second my version of Ed Stivender’s version, of Uncle Remus’s version of how the ‘possum learned to play ‘possum. 

I had a ball at the Bear on the Square festival in Dahlonega yesterday. The Kuumba young tellers opened the storytelling program. What poised and effective tellers these young folks are!
I shared the stage at noon with Gwen Napier. Gwen told a love story about a blind girl and a man who cared more for her than his own sight. 
Since I had a new audience I enjoyed telling a pair stories I love to tell together, the first a personal tale from our first night in our little log cabin in Chubbtown, and the second my version of Ed Stivender’s version, of Uncle Remus’s version of how the ‘possum learned to play ‘possum. 

During the two o’clock set I told two short tall tales: Preacher Bailey’s Teeth, and Yellowtail. Anthoey Vinson followed that with his version of an old story (but new to me) involving his Uncle Crack and a very unfortunate bunny.
Gwen and Anthony both were outstanding, and we had a large and enthusiastic audience. Fun!
In the afternoon we had thirty minutes of open mike and we had several great tales including those from Mik and Denise Mount.
Thanks to Debbie From and Melanie Knaff for organizing and emceeing.


While perusing antique stores in Dahlonega yesterday I came upon this political item: a nearly full-page ad in the Nashville Banner on the eve of the ratification of the Woman Suffrage Amendment in 1920. There have been few major breakthroughs in expanding democracy without vicious opposition. I imagine there are descendants of Miss Rowe, Mrs. Malone, Judge Higgins, Mayor Stahlman, the Honorable Mr. Bond, and/or Professor Dyer, who are a bit chagrined that their forebear was one of the last holdouts against the right of my wife, mother, sisters, daughters, nieces, female cousins, and former students to vote. I suspect there will be descendants of some of my treasured friends who will research Facebook in 2116 and be similarly disappointed to read their ancestors posts. So, dear prospective great grandchildren, I’m gonna keep trying to make y’all proud.


Comments:


Victoria Stanz Abernathy
The more I read belatedly, having been raised gently demanding obedience without questioning or explanation of the old South's revised theories about the 'lost cause', I cringe that I did not more fully understand the enormity of its evil and outreach, and that it still permeates again out in the open the thinking of so many. Spiritual leavening is required and God willing will come to all!


Liz Tyler
While being agnostic, I agree with your statement. We have all, in multiple generations turned away from our societies problems.


Victoria Stanz Abernathy
Liz Tyler
it doesn't have to say God. Just a higher sense of justice which will do the same thing and open our eyes to a different reality...


Hilda Atkins Moore
I descended from those who fought for what they thought was right and I got a double dose.


Annie Shields
A long time ago in the '70's when I was working for the C&P phone Co. in WV, I went to the home of a very old woman who needed some work done on her outside drop line. When I came off the pole, she began telling me about her involvement with women's suffrage years earlier, and that was the very first time I ever had the sense that my job as a female lineman was only possible because of those who who had labored and suffered before me so that I could climb, install, repair and trouble-shoot in a relatively uncomplicated environment.

Donald Murdock
Pretty amazing.


Judy Baker
And an interesting tidbit is that it was a 24 year old freshman legislator in the Tennessee state Assembly that reversed his "nay" vote to an "aye" vote to break the tie to make Tennessee the 36th and final state needed to ratify the Amendment to give women universal suffrage. Thanks for the post Terrell. I portray a 1920 Suffragist and super respect all those who came before.


Larry Madden
There have been many "hiccups" in the growth of this great nation and they still continue today. The oppression of women and the enslavement of human beings for profit are two of the greatest injustices that have occurred. I am sure there will be other events that will continue to shape our history.
Hopefully as we go forward as a nation it is my prayer that our developing history will continue to strengthen America.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment