Saturday, July 04, 2020

By their fruits

Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? - Matthew 7:16
One expects to notice fruits of the Spirit in someone who professes a Christian faith. You have not seen love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control in Donald John Trump. He has shown love only for himself. There has been not a hint of confession, repentance, reverence, or forgiveness. My faith tradition believes in redemption and I sincerely hope the man finds personal rebirth. But confession and repentance precede redemption.
At 74, Donald John Trump, in my opinion, has forfeited the right to be redeemed in his public life. His selfishness, vanity, ignorance, xenophobia, racism, dishonesty, weakness, and cruelty have cost America way too much in his three and a half years in office... including for starters lost respect in the world, millions of lost jobs, and thousands of lost lives.
On this Independence Day when we celebrate the ideals of the Declaration, I rededicate myself, as I do every year, to the pledge those guys solemnly swore when they signed that document. I cannot do that, by my lights, without standing up against the unAmerican Trump administration.
I "...hold these truths to be self-evident, that all [humans] are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” 
And to secure these rights I pledge my life, my fortune, and my sacred honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment