Monday, September 27, 2021

Gleaning Facebook: Found Objects

 Rummaging around in old boxes today I found a few merry nudges...

I'll bet there are others of these old bank bags scattered around town. My Daddy started banking at National City Bank in 1962 when we moved to Rome for him to begin his ministry at Trinity Methodist Church. Jim Formby, a banker at NCB was an active layman at Trinity and became my Dad's friend. That account was never closed until, after the bank had gone through MANY name changes during 59 years, we closed it, now my Mother's, just a few weeks before she died this year. National City always used the City Clock in their ads. When Sheila and I moved back to Rome eight days after our marriage in 1971, I naturally went to Mr. Formby to open our joint account at NCB.

A paper coaster from the Aloha Restaurant from, I think, the mid-sixties. I am a pack-rat-bordering-on-hoarder and I saved this coaster from a date or a banquet from that era. I remember at least two West Rome sports banquets at the Aloha; one was held at the original location in the little triangle formed by West Second Avenue, Martha Berry Blvd., and Turner McCall Blvd, and the second at the Martha Berry Blvd location near Robin Street.



More ancient history from rummaging around in boxes this morning: this is one of the many signs I created with “magic markers” as a college-volunteer at the RFK HQ in New Albany, Indiana, on the weekend before the 1968 Indiana primary. They were intended for supporters to hold at the Louisville airport when he arrived or in other of his appearances nearby.


A bit of history I stumbled upon this morning- Lillian’s note to Tooth Fairy. As I recall the fairy was forgiving concerning the lost lost tooth, and quite generous.


No comments:

Post a Comment