Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Songbird Couldn't Wait

 Welcome to our hearts little impatient Songbird. 

I woke up at about four this morning and noticed there was a message from our son-in-law marked 2:17. That woke me up good. Sure enough it was this picture with this message attached:

"Born in Sue's car on the way to the hospital."


We have another beautiful little granddaughter. She was born about 10:45 Pacific time yesterday, October 25, 2021.

I had spoken with Brannon just last night while Clemmie and Ruth joyfully ran around the kitchen and teased me via Facetime. Clemmie even demanded I tell "Ghost With One Black Eye" again, and then demanded that I make her "brave" in the story. 

Princess Clementine is ready for Halloween.

Peanut butter faced Ruth

She had a great time virtually stealing my nose. 

I've got to re-write "Ghost With One Black Eye" to make Clemmie "brave" in her encounter with the ghost.


And while we talked Brannon was dealing with contractions. She thought it might be "false labor"; turned out it wasn't. 

It is hard being a long-distance parent and grandparent. We've had an anxious day as Brannon tried to get some much needed rest between feeding and tending a newborn and putting up with the usual distractions of a hospital stay; she understandably had no time to call Mom and Dad. So we wondered and worried about this new little piece of our heart and her mother 2000 miles away.

Finally this evening another Facetime call and we had a nice long talk with Brannon while she held her new little bundle. There are more details: They almost made it, not to the intended hospital but to a nearer one, as John drove Sue's car and Sue (a wonderful nurse/midwife and dear friend of the Carlins) tended to Brannon in the back seat. But the baby would not wait. John pulled the car off the freeway near the Emerald Drive exit, and our little bright-eyed songbird arrived right there. 

A Facetime screen capture of our little songbird this afternoon.

We think we know what her name will be, but the decision isn't quite final. When I heard what the middle name is likely to be I teared up. You will have to wait a few more hours to learn it. Since her "due-date" had been set at October 31 I had proposed "Morticia". And all day today I have been calling her "Camry" though, in truth, I do not know what make of car Sue drives. Knowing her likely middle name I am nicknaming her "Songbird" for now.

3 comments: