Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Fading Away

I just got back from a 20 minute meeting of the Trinity United Methodist Church Council. We turned in our clergy review forms for 2023 and took two required (though absurd) votes to 

(1) approve the 2024 (non-existent) Church Council members. I abstained; I would not give even imaginary support to leaders who would choose to disband the church.)

(2) set a salary for a (non-existent) pastor for 2024. I approved the imaginary salary; I would have approved one-dollar or a million --- in this case identical sums.

Barring some unexpected matter arising that requires a council vote before the church disbands, this was the final meeting of the Trinity United Methodist Church Council. After 148 years of service our congregation will officially disband on November 30, 2023. Each of its remaining 800 plus members will be, at least temporarily, without a church home.

As I waited afterwards for the Turner McCall light to change so I could walk toward home I noticed the sign sadly and appropriately fading away.



No comments:

Post a Comment