Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gleaning Facebook: Taking a Spill

Treacherous out there folks. 

Sheila calls to say she is creeping home from Kennesaw over icy roads. I think the chivalrous thing to do is to move my car away from the porch so she can park closer to get in. I walk out, move my car, and -- while I'm at it it -- bring an armload of stuff in from the car. As I start up my back steps arms full of empty coffee thermoses, back pack, a big flashlight I used in a lesson today, etc. my legs fly out from under me. I hit the steps and the stone landing with elbow and wrist and buttock as the thermos tries to push my nose through my brain...


... I lie for a bit at the foot of the steps slightly dazed and trying to figure out if more than my pride is seriously damaged. I am pondering simultaneous heartfelt wishes:

"Oh how I hope someone was watching 'cause if I don't get help I'm gonna die!!"

and

"Oh how I hope no-one was watching me make such an absolute fool out of myself!!"

Various and sundry muscles, bones, and tissues are announcing their protests in an irksome and noisy cacaphony to my muddled brain as warm liquid gushes from my nose. I'm gonna look pretty and move slowly at school tomorrow.

Just call me Grace.


I finally rouse myself and --- very carefully -- climb the steps and enter the house leaving a trail of red befitting a murder scene. I doubt Sheila will be willing to enter when she gets home.


Comments


Dana Jordan Alexander
OOP"S that is really gonna hurt tomorrow ...sorry ...


Marlee Tierce
Oh dear, Terrell. So sorry.

Linda Floyd Blackwell
OH no! I hope you aren't too sore tomorrow.


Amy Prince-Stivers
Dislike! 


Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Sorry that happened to you! I went to the store to get some milk for Freddy and nearly busted my bottom on the steps. For some unknown reason, I was able to regain my footing.


Beth Shaw
Yikes! I almost fell walking up Mt Alto road to our street - the police had turned their headlights on so I could see and a bunch of ppl who had parked their cars at the bottom of the hill were watching to see if I made it. That would have been embarrassing. I wouldn't even let myself stop to catch my breath till I got to my driveway because I didn't want to look like I couldn't do it. How sad (and prideful) is THAT!
You might should go get checked out and make sure you don't have anything broken and/or strained or any internal bleeding



Elizabeth McGinnis Johnson
Grace, I hope you are going to be ok. I slid down my steps today and I am aching ALL OVER. It's rough out there!!!!


Terrell Shaw
Well, all things work together for good! If I hadn't fallen Amy may never have stopped by my fb. How is motherhood and teaching girl?
Thanks all. I'm fine. Nothing broken, just lots of sore places and aches and pains. Those of you who have reached my advanced age know that we elders have more aches than we have places to ache, fall or no fall. 


Mary Nisbet Asbury
So sorry you fell! I am hearing accident and near accident stories from all over Rome. James fell in front of our house tonight while taking out something for me.


Margaret Oren
Ooooh! Terrell, don't do that again.


Ruth Baird Shaw
Please....do not talk about being old!!! Remember I am your mother so a little older!!!!


Elizabeth McGinnis Johnson
Believe me, no matter what your age, falling down on ice HURTS!

Terrell Shaw
Oh, I believe you, Liz!

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Mrs. Ruth! You stay in that house! Promise now...

Jann Heaton Skeen
bless your heart! Glad school is out tomorrow though. Katelyn (Shuler) said "OH NO is he okay"??

Terrell Shaw
Just got the call... no school tomorrow! Hmmmm... Christmas activities get jammed into a short day on Friday.
Tell Katelyn her YOUNG teacher (son of a very YOUNG mother) is doing fine.

Mandy Wallace
Hope you heal up at HOME tomorrow! No school means Aiden has another day to read AR books! He is not going to enjoy his day off!

Kathy Wilson
Hope your all right.It hurts hitting the ground nowadays.

Nancy Johal Singh
Mr.Shaw hope you are not hurt....get some rest tomorrow...


Kristi Roberts Sanders
First of all..... you and those empty coffee mugs!!!!!! How many had u collected at school? LOL. Take it easy tomorrow and BE CAREFUL! 


Nancy Waters Carr
scary, glad you didn't break anything

Amy Leanne Cochran
U have time to get better now..no school for yall tomorrow 


Anita Stewart
Sounds like the Three Stooges in one swift move. Glad you were not hurt.

Naomi Liles Crouse
OUCH! Careful!! Hope you didn't sustain a serious injury!


Deborah Lake Dawson
Sorry to hear that. I am just getting over a fall down my driveway and that was without any ice. Falling has never been fun but falling at 50 is a whole different story. Hope you did not get hurt bad.

George Barton
If you have a black eye, just tell everyone that Sheila did it.


Lillian Shaw
Ouch! Glad you're okay for the most part!

Terrell Shaw
Thanks all. I'm sore but OK.
Great idea George. (Un?) Fortunately, no black eye.

Now Mandy, allow Aiden ... a little... fun.
At least I wasn't kissing that thermos while falling from atop a racing steed, Kathy.
And it WAS a big ol' thermos, not a mug, that rearranged MY mug, Kristi!
Careful, you Shoe-Stooge, may be time for a couple of flagpole stories! Yes, the scene woulda made Moe, Larry, & Curly proud.
Lillian, you intended no comma after "okay", right?

Betty Smith Franklin
Now, a walker with a basket. Merry Christmas! I remember the Rome Christmas parade as a sleet day.


Bill Supon
With all my problems with falling recently, I have gone out as little as possible! Apparently, I was smart for once!

Ann Gore
Be careful, Terrell!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment