Saturday, December 25, 2010

Gleaning Facebook: Christmas 2010



---------
I'm dreaming of a Whitish Christmas...

Ruth Baird Shaw

Terry...there is enough snow out here in West Rome to build a snowman????


Chris Rouse Davidson
We built a snowman here in West Rome. He's a little brownish, but we're happy to have him nonetheless.

Amy Leanne Cochran
we got quiet a bit of snow here in Lyerly 

1st time Ive ever had a White Christmas and I spent it playing in the snow with my favorite children 

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas 

---------------------

Our family, virtually together for Christmas Eve 2010 -- via Skype


Lillian Shaw
Haha. I managed to look the cutest in this photo.

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Merry Christmas to the Shaws in Rome and Virtually to Lillian in New York! 


Gary Harrell
that is awesome!

Joan Shaw Turrentine
We will miss you, Sweet Lil! Sure looking forward to seeing you, Brannon! You four still look "right" together!

Nora Matthews
how come Lillian couldn't make it but Brannon could? anyways have a Merry Christmas love you all

Terrell Shaw
Obviously Brannon loves us more. We've changed the will.
<Grin> Merry Christmas Nora!!!
(Actually, Brannon could get off work, and Lillian couldn't -- they will share their inheritance of our debts equally.)


Nora Matthews
lol Merry Christmas to you too uncle Terry! Tell everyone we love them and Merry Christmas as well.

Ruthie Langston Terry
Isn't technology wonderful? Hope you are all actually happy, rather than virtually so this Christmas.

Ruth Baird Shaw
Ruthie...Terry sounded actually happy when i talked to him a few minutes ago! Lillian may be only virtually happy, having to work (new job) on Christmas day.

Terrell Shaw
Happier than any man has a right to be, Ms Ruthie! Same to you and yours!
And Nora, you are very much loved by this household (virtual and actual!) Give the retired coot and his sweet wife a hug for us and even ol' Derrick!

Ruth Baird Shaw
Terry and Sheila...Great picture!!!!! Who snapped the pic...

Terrell Shaw
I just held the camera out and snapped it myself. I wish Lil were available during the day so we could bring the computer over and "Skype" from your house.

Ruth Baird Shaw
Merry Christmas Nora!
Merry Christmas David Matheny and your family. I know it is sad with you recent loss but happy for your wonderful Dad. Dr. Matheny fought the good fight and now has his crown...


Terrell Shaw
Yes, Merry Christmas, David! I know this is a Christmas when your folks are much on your mind. One of my friends described it as a bittersweet Christmas as we remember our missing mutual friend, Cleve Burton - great memories but a real empty spot too.


Ruth Baird Shaw
Yes. I think about Cleve so often.


---------

Having a low-key, but great Christmas.

Still, as I stood, a "shepherd" last night in our Nativity Scene, quietly considering Christmas, my mind wandered to warm memories, not so directly associated with this tender scene as with my own bittersweet emotions. I thought especially of all those missing from us this year.

Terrell Shaw We have enjoyed visiting Wint Barton each of the last several Christmases. He regaled us with stories and showered us in chocolate and other goodies supplied by Suzanne. And Cleve is gone. And Charles Reichel. I thought of David Metheney's dad. And then of course the mind skips to all the others... My Daddy. How he loved family and how he love this church. The Cravens, Paul and Mary, who built the first stable at Trinity and befriended my family in the sixties. Miss Annie Beth Terrell just up Avenue A and her oat/chocolate goodies and generosity to the youth of our church. Jim Formby, such an bulwark of our church for so many years, and another friend of my Dad. Bobby Storey heating bricks in the church oven for us to stand on those really cold Christmases. Christmas has always been such a family time. The boistrous Shaw boys. The delicious smells and tastes. The downlight gloriously gaudy decorations my Mama Shaw put up. The warmth of my Mama Baird and Aunt Mary. The girdle (a story in itself.) Then to hunting the perfect, wonderfully fragrant, redcedar for our Christmas tree with my Daddy and sisters and later with Sheila, and then year after year on the Burton farm with my daughters and the Burtons. Enough... Happy Christmas to all my family and all wonderful friends, and former students, and Facebook cohorts!!


George Dean Charles Riechel was a great man indeed, and I am richer from his and your way of living. Merry Christmas!
Jann Heaton Skeen Merry Christmas to the Shaw family!
Jane Cox Slickman Merry Christmas Terrell - the glory of it all is that those we miss in body will never leave us in memory or spirit - how rich that makes us!

Nancy Nichols Elder And, Terrell, don't forget our Paula!
Terrell Shaw
Yes, Paula! She is another that loved Christmastime. She always brought treats to the school at Christmas for Allie and Mallory's teachers and staff members.
Ruthie Langston Terry Terrell, I think that's what puts the "blue" in Christmas. I missed my Mother, and Daddy and sister so much, even tho I have six little grands to occupy my mind, I still think of those Christmas' past!

------------------------

Later Snow Pictures




















---------------------
Just finished our annual viewing of the classic "It's a Wonderful Life". It's a wonderful movie. Capra did some great directing - great camera angles for example. Of course the schmaltz gets a little ridiculous, especially in the "Mary the Old Maid Librarian" scene. "You're not gonna like it George... she's an old maid.... she's just about to close up the LIBRARY!!!!!"


Tony Pope
Always dissing the librarians!


Terrell Shaw
I wondered if Tony Pope might see this. Now let's wait for Avis's take on it.


Tony Pope
Ha.... I think I might have broken that image somewhat! Ha...

Terrell Shaw
So big change: crabby old batchelor librarian. <grin>


Ruthie Langston Terry
Lighten up on the librarian's Terrell. I know a few who are definitely "HOT" !!! lol
Uh, Tony, don't get any crazy ideas! LOL

Terrell Shaw
Now, Ruthie, I've waxed eloquent about my love of you librarians in the past... I was giving Capra a hard time about his portrayal of Mary as a librarian in IAWL!

Ruthie Langston Terry
Weeeell, it is Christmas, guess I'll let you live Terrell, since you post such interesting data! all is forgiven.....

No comments:

Post a Comment