Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Note: Marriage Equality

My personal preference would be for the gov't to get out of the "marriage" business. That would more clearly recognize the rights of each individual to his own beliefs. But that possibility was fought just as strongly as same-sex marriage, and became a moot question several years ago. Still, these decisions affect no one's right to his own interpretation of "marriage" for himself, and expands freedom and justice for millions including some of my own much-admired friends.

I have very close, and much-admired friends and relatives who passionately disagree. I love them no less. But their rights are unaffected.


I wish my young cousin, and my fellow choir member, both of whom were moral and kind men, both of whom suffered greatly because of their orientation, and both of whom died young, had lived long enough to see this day. And I am happy for that high school teacher who as an eighty-something still quietly shares a home and his life with his unofficial spouse, and my much admired fellow teacher who has been a loyal spouse to his partner for over twenty years, and my many fellow actors who are "different".


It is so amazing that the very conservative SCOTUS that ruled so wrongly in Citizens United and just yesterday on affirmative action could also rule as it has today. It can only be that the evil of treating a minority with such obvious injustice is sometimes plain to even an Anthony Kennedy, and or a John Roberts.

No comments:

Post a Comment