Sunday, January 12, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: Polar Paddle


I am aggravated with myself for not staging a pic with my two former students who were along on the paddle. Tim Groves was my student back in the very early eighties or maybe even as early as 79 or so. It was so good to see him today. It's been many years. 
And Samuel Watkins who was my student just twelve years ago at Armuchee is a senior at Berry and a regular CRBI volunteer. What a great young man he has become.

Samuel Watkins

It was great to see you, Terrell Shaw, and your family as well! Why didn't we think to get a picture?!?!


Just starting out. Major victory… I managed to keep dry feet getting into my canoe. Brannon used my kayak. Sheila and I used a CRBI canoe.


I won a small ocean kayak in the CRBI Canoe-a-Thon last year (Thanks to all who donated to CRBI through me!!!) James Lossick at the Cedar Creek RV & Outdoor Center allowed me to pay a little extra and upgrade to this sweet river-ride.




I got lots of pics of the back of Sheila's head, but the one time she turns for a pic she closes her eyes. 
🙂



Amos, our new Upper Coosa Riverkeeper, and Joe Cook, the outgoing riverkeeper, agreed to take a January Polar Bear Plunge if we could raise $1000 for the river in one week. We did it.

At the right, Amos Tuck begins his swing out over the river as we paddlers's gape at the astounding stupidity of this otherwise sensible young man.


AAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!




Joe Cook shed his clothing except for a bathing suit and life vest and started up the tree.




Off he goes...

Let go!

He tries to run on the rivers surface...

Whadya know. Joe Cook cannot walk on water.

Tersi Bendiburg
Oh my, that water has to be so cold!


Terrell Shaw
It was a wonderfully warm January day, but the water was frigid, Tersi. Thank goodness I managed to keep even my tootsies warm and dry.

pastedGraphic.png







 
After thunderstorms all night, by noon the sky began to clear, and for much of the float I had ol' Sol warming my shoulders.



This little family seemed to have a great time. The little girl paddled with her beaver stick and both children had a ball shouting to their echoes under each bridge.






I wanted at least one pic of moi, so I took a selfie as we floated under the Norfolk Southern Railroad bridge just north of the Turner McCall bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment