Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Gleaning Facebook: Arrowhead Today

What a warm March day at Arrowhead Environmental Education Center. I am on duty as caretaker of the animals during this "spring break" week. After feeding and while the tortoises grazed, I took a walk and some pics.

Our grounds guy, Milton Ledbetter, goes above and beyond to keep things up. This week he has been repairing refurbishing this little boardwalk into one of the shady little ponds.

The Gopher Tortoises had already grazed on grass for a while so I sliced a few strawberries to give 'em a treat.



Our grounds guy, Milton Ledbetter, goes above and beyond to keep things up. This week he has been repairing refurbishing this little boardwalk into one of the shady little ponds.

Lots of nice walks out here.

But this one is almost dry right now.


If I count right we have at least 28 bodies of wetland/water at Arrowhead.

Marion Dobbs
I'll have to try to count in future. I'd not have guessed that many, but I'm betting you're right.

Terrell Shaw

There are 
-- 14 in the main group along the south side of the little creek. 
-- Seven along the northside of the creek (several are small.) 
-- The main lake. 
-- The Ducks Unlimited wetland below the picnic shelter. 
-- The big beaver pond on the northside of the property.
-- the fishing pond between the Ed. Bldg and the DNR bldg
I have not counted the small ponds south of the main group, but there are at least four.
So that makes 29! Of course many of them are dry at least part of the year.

Emily Robinson

Such a beautiful place


Susan Polkinghorn
This land is heavenly! Where is it?


Susan Polkinghorn
Ah! Ga. Rome! Close by-2 hours.


Terrell Shaw
On Floyd Springs Road in northern Floyd County, GA. Arrowhead Environmental Education Center


If I count right we have at least 28 bodies of wetland/water at Arrowhead.

This is a big ol' oak.

The box turtles were hungry guys today. Box turtles are long-lived critters. We believe Juan (on the extreme right) is older than ME! I turned 70 last week.

This Yellow-bellied Slider was crossing my path, so I waylaid him for some pics.



If I count right we have at least 28 bodies of wetland/water at Arrowhead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment