Sunday, August 27, 2017

Gleaning Facebook: Park Street United Methodist

 Today Sheila and I visited the home of Bob & Christine Puckett to celebrate our mutual friend Wendy Davis and support her effort to keep working for Rome and our posterity on the City Commission. 

And I notice this on the Pucketts’ kitchen wall. 

Wow. My father was the pastor at Park Street United Methodist Church in Atlanta in the mid to late seventies. David (my brother) and Vicki were married there. My family loved that church and its people and when my father died in 1986, many of them mourned with us. Park Street’s prominent layman and choir director, Guy Sharpe, spoke and sang at the funeral. 

It turns out, after knowing Bob & Christine for decades, sharing a stage with Christine a time or two, being involved together in education and politics over many years, that we have an old connection we were unaware of: Christine’s paternal grandmother was one of Daddy’s parishioners way back when.


Comments from Facebook:

Ruth Demeter
I know it was hard for you to leave that behind
Tony Pope
Was that Guy Sharon the weather man?

Terrell Shaw
Yes (Sharpe, not Sharon!)
Tony Pope
Terrell Shaw
one of my favorite news people growing up. It was Sharpe when I typed...thanks to autocorrect!!!
Terrell Shaw
Tony Pope
I figured that. 

Katie S. Kimbrough
I didn't know your dad was a preacher!

Terrell Shaw
I am a "double" Methodist preachers' kid. My father was a Methodist minister from about 1950 until his sudden death in 1986. My mother then began preaching, enrolled in and completed seminary at Emory's Candler School of Theology, and was fully ordained in the United Methodist Church.

Katie S. Kimbrough
Wow you have interesting parents!
Melanie Collette Babb
It is a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment