Thursday, May 14, 2020

Trinity: Griffith Window

The Griffith window is in the front entrance to the church beneath the bell tower. These windows were part of a fairly major renovation in the 1970s I think. They replaced much simpler geometric stained glass designs.

Does anyone know the name or significance of this cross design? 

Sheila and I have been ringing the bell at Trinity every Saturday morning and evening at 7:14. We are supposed to ring it seven times, pause, then ring it an additional 14 times. This is to commeorate Second Chronicles 7:14
___
2 Chronicles 7:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
___
These visits to an empty church building have given me an opportunity to ponder the saints of old whose names have been engraved during the last 134 years. 

I think Mr. Griffith had died by the time our family came to Rome in 1962. I remember Mrs. Griffith a little. I think she died during the first year or so that we were here. This plaque goes with the window in the front entrance to the church beneath the bell tower.

What do you remember about Mr. & Mrs. Griffith?

Comments:

Terrell Shaw
Here's Thom Holt's memory of Mrs. Griffith:

"As a 5-year-old I sat with Mrs Griffith. She always had something to keep me quiet. She kept me so my mother could sing in the choir. She lived on Avenue A past your house [728] on the left.
She had a daughter that lived with her. 
When she got in bad health Mom would go see her after church and tell her the sermon -- with me in tow as a 12- or 13-year-old “


Michelle Williamson Wilson
Terrell is there any information on our bell? Where it came from? How much it weighs?


Terrell Shaw

I don't. Michelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment