Saturday, August 01, 2020

Cars

[This post is a work in progress]
Our family cars I remember (or know of):
Mid- Twenties, Model T Ford. This was taken in Milstead Georgia. Driving is my great-grandfather Columbus Turner Shaw accompanied by my great-grandmother Minnie Ziporah Wood Shaw. The little boy (with the dog) is my uncle James Edward Shaw (my daddy's brother. James was born in 1920.


1950 Chevy, black.



1954 Chevy Bel Air, blue
















1956 Chevy, silver and white (became "my" car in 1963)
1960 Chevy, coppertone, 9-passenger wagon
1962? Chevy, white
1961? VW Beetle, light blue
1964 Dodge -- Daddy Shaw (Grady Columbus Shaw, Sr.) bought this car just the year before his death. This is a picture of it parked in front of his barber shop in the community building on Main Street in Milstead, Georgia. You can see Elm Street beyond the car. The building on the corner of Elm and Main was the hotel. The house where my family lived my first three years was on Elm -- a bit of it may be visible in this picture.



1964 Mercury Comet, black, This was the first car I actually owned... very briefly! Here's my birthday card from my wonderful Daddy anouncing the gift. I'm not sure he understood how much I appreciated it, especially after he borrowed it and TOTALLED it! Poor Daddy. He was snakebit when it came to cars and major events like my 21st Birthday and his own marriage. He wore a bandage on his chin at his own wedding in 1938 and a prominent scar on that chin the rest of his life from the auto accident when he totaled his father's car that he had planned to use to drive his bride home in. They ended up riding to Milstead with Rev. Kilpatrick after the ceremony.
1969 Opel Kadette, blue with black top.(First car I bought myself)
1973 Chevy Blazer, (First car Sheila and I bought together, and the last "new" car I have owned.)
1972 VW Squareback, light blue
1965 Chevy pick-up, Red
19?? Subaru
19?? Honda Accord
19?? Dodge Aspen, burgandy
19?? Ford Aerostar minivan, silver & black
19?? Buick Lasabre
19?? Oldsmobile ??
19?? Pontiac Grand Am
1992 GMC Sierra


The Sierra gets loaded with pea gravel at Basic Concrete
1998 Ford Taurus
2001 Toyota Rav 4
The Rav4 gets a new back window after the lawn mower sent a bit of pea gravel through it.
2010 Toyota Camry





No comments:

Post a Comment