Thursday, August 06, 2020

Visiting Mother

Septuagenarians must count themselves fortunate indeed if they still share this life with their moms. I get to visit with mine almost daily. I try hard to appreciate the privilege and to think of ways to make the visits interesting for us (Sheila and me) and her. My 97-year-old mother is one amazing woman. 

When I went off to college, she made sure I got a letter from home frequently, and she kept her letter-writing going all the way through my college and post-graduate years and into the early years of my marriage. Being me, I filed those letters away. How can you discard a mother's letter? The letters got boxed up in time with letters from other relatives, old friends, and colleagues. All were filed and packed away in closets of successive homes. Last week I retrieved one big old file box and have been reminiscing my way through it slowly. 

The letters from my mother are chocked full of references to folks and events dear and sometimes forgotten. So for the last week we have been taking a few letters over with us in the evening to read to her. They spur lots of related memories ... and questions! They include a few letters from others: David, Beth, Mama Baird, Mama Shaw, Emerye, and several from Daddy.

I'll try to share a few here or in other posts for posterity. <grin> Watch for updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment