Saturday, June 25, 2022

Fifty-seven years!

I really was not enthusiastic about attending the reunion tonight. I'm in the middle of getting ready for our annual Fourth of July party. As Mother's executor I have lots to do preparing for Zoom distribution sessions. I want to do some writing. I need some new stories...

But we had paid our fee, and so we got cleaned up and dressed just in time and drove down to the Marriott. 

We had a great time visiting with my West Rome High School classmates from 57 years ago. 

Here are a few pics:

Ron Kennedy is a retired teacher, and like me has a special interest in ecology.
Ron is one of my closest friends my last two years of high school.


Alice Jeffries and I were the WIYN High Lighters (Is that what we were called? Something like that.) We drove to the WIYN radio station at the corner of Broad and Second Avenue every week to broadcast the West Rome High news.



Mailon Baxley (and Donna) has remained in Rome and we have run into each other many times
during the last couple of decades. Sheila and I shared a table with Mailon and Donna,
Craig and Patricia Brewer, and Ken Gossett.

I reminded Jane McCollum of the day in 1983 0r maybe 1984 when we happened upon each other at the Riverbend Mall. I had baby Brannon in my arms and Jane had a baby in hers. I remarked to her that I was glad to see that at least one of my classmates had waited as long as we had to start a family. Turned out the baby she was holding was not her child; the baby was her GRANDchild!


Tom Powell and Jane Smallwood. 

Carol Chapman and Roger Wade

Gordon Walden with Craig and Patricia Brewer

Paula Craven and Gordon Walden were two of my MYF friends
at Trinity United Methodist Church 1962-67.



Our memorial wall has grown. 40 of our classmates have died since graduation day in 1965.






No comments:

Post a Comment