Friday, June 17, 2022

Storytelling in Hayesville.

Sheila and I are in Hayesville, North Carolina to participate in a planning retreat for the Board of Directors for the Southern Order of Storytellers (SOS). Hosting the board this weekend are two Hayesville couples:  Kanute and Kathy Rarey and Anne Wheeler and Dick Berliner. AND we were thrilled to be asked to participate in the monthly Hayesville open mike storytelling event this evening. 

A special treat for me and Sheila was that our friend Mimi Shepherd showed up. Mimi is not blood kin rather a sort of "adopted cousin" who usually attends our Matthews family reunions. She has retired from her veterinary practice and moved to --- Hayesville!

Sheila with Mimi

SOS folks who told stories were board member Kanute (the emcee and first teller), our vice president Gwenolyn Napier, our legal advisor Anne, and me.

I had planned to tell a favorite ghost story, but...

Kanute opened the program with a wonderful reminiscence of his grandfather, in honor of Father's Day. 

Kanute addresses the enthusiastic crowd of story listeners at a coffee shop in Hayesville, NC.


Kanute's story included many details that reminded me of my own grandfather and father.  So I changed my mind.  I decided on the spot to talk about my father and his father, and Daddy's own story that I call "Skinny-dipping" or "Baptism by Fire & Water". I enjoyed it and I think my audience did.

I've shared a stage with Gwen several times now so I knew to expect an energetic and engaging story and she did not disappoint with her tale about Brer Rabbit's latest outwitting of Brer Bear. 

Brer Rabbit enlisted the help of Frog to defeat Brer Bear in a fishing contest.

This was my first time to hear Anne tell a story. She fascinated us with a her adventures in beekeeping.

Anne's beekeeping got off to a rough start when her son's dog got involved.

After the show Gwen and Kanute posed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment