Saturday, January 21, 2023

Sean of the South & First Daffodils

Sheila and I enjoyed an evening in downtown Rome with our friends Lynelle and Stan Stewart. First we had a nice meal at Ana's by the River. It was our first time there. We knew we were off to a good evening when we found the only unoccupied parking spot on this busy street on a Saturday was directly in front of Ana's!
I enjoyed a very large serving of lasagna with garlic bread that was really good. (I'll be better tomorrow.) Everyone else seemed to like their meals as well. It was fun getting to know Lynelle and Stan a little better. Lynelle and I talked a lot about our time in Ellijay. She lived right on River Street -- on the Toggery side. Her family's dry goods store was on the opposite side closer to the Toggery. Although she is  younger than me we had some of the same teachers at Ellijay Elementary.
She and Stan had never been to the Desoto Theater before.
Sean Detrick's one man show was a hoot. Lots of music and stories. Music is about as close to magic as anything I know. It can unify a diverse group so quickly. It can rekindle memories from many decades ago instantly. During one part of the program Sean invited us to join him in singing several songs I haven't heard since Vacation Bible School days , like...

I may never march in the infantry
Ride in the cavalry
Shoot the artillery
I may never fly o'er the enemy

But I'm in the Lord's army!
Yes Sir!
I'm in the Lord's army!
Yes sir!
I'm in the Lord's army!
Yes sir!

We had parked near the Rotary Park on Sixth Avenue, and as we walked to the car after the concert we noticed... jonquils in bloom! My first of 2023!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment