Saturday, August 15, 2026

On the Kingfisher Trail

Bubba and Roxy

I had not seen these new murals under the swing bridge at Unity Point. I am quite impressed.






I had forgotten that there was a race underway this morning. (First Avenue at Broad Street)



The Etowah looking toward the confluence.


The Kingfisher Trail is named for Cherokee leader Kingfisher who fought Gen. John Sevier near here. The stone marker commemorates that battle.



The graceful arches of this 110 highway bridge across the Etowah at the end of Broad Street is showing its age. The city of Rome has not yet decided whether to replace (est. $4M) or refurbish (est. $12M) this historic structure.





Only one picture of many I took of the kudzu monsters along this walk.

The old railroad bridge above is now a pedestrian bridge and a part of the Kingfisher Trail extension of the ECO Riverwalk.



More kudzu monsters.

Silver Creek near its mouth.

This exposed bit of the earth’s crust along Silver Creek near the Kingfisher Trail bridge has fascinated me for years, though I suspect relatively few Romans have ever noticed it. These ancient sedimentary layers, originally laid down nearly horizontally, have been folded and tilted almost on end by the immense forces associated with the continental collisions that built the Appalachian Mountains, perhaps 300 million years ago.

Ivy-leaved Morning Glory (Ipomoea hederacea)

Chicory (Cichorium intybus)

I've been curious about this giant-roofed building for years. Now it is being rehabilitated. Anybody know about it?

Frostweed (Verbesina virginica)

White Flannel Moth caterpillar (Norape ovina) Watch out: it has stinging bristles.

Virgin's Bower (Clematis virginiana)

The same railroad bridge (now pedestrian bridge) pictured earlier, now up close.


Almost back to First Avenue.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment