Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Gleaning Facebook: What a Country!

March 2011: I didn't take many pictures at the Southern Order of Storytellers annual winter festival. I diid take notes. I hope to write a post about it soon. But I'll go ahead and post this highlight. We got to see our good storytelling friend and now Facebook friend, Tersi Bendiberg.
My storytelling Facebook friend, Tersi Bendiberg, tells of her first Halloween in America after her family came to Georgia from Cuba in the early sixties. 



FIRST HALLOWEEN, DECATUR, GEORGIA 1964 AFTER ARRIVING FROM CUBA ON FEBRUARY OF THAT YEAR. (I've shared this before but I'm sharing it again.)
Mrs. Tubesing, Carla Tubesing's Mom, explain the basics of Halloween to me. She gave me a pillowcase for the candy I would get Trick or Treating. I quickly went into our home and painted freckles on my face, put my hair in two braids, found an old hat, Dad's work pants and boots (which I stuffed with toilet paper), a big old flannel shirt, a stick with a stuffed kerchief hanging from one end of the stick. I painted two teeth black to look like I was missing teeth. I was a hobo. Not politically correct I know.

We went all over the Oakhurst neighborhood trick or treating. Finally an hour or more later I returned to our home and dumped all of the candy inside the pillowcase on the living room rug. "Papi, Mami", I said, "You say Trick or Treat. They give you candy!" and my Dad, with hands at the waist said, "What a country!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment