Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Georgia Democratic Convention 1946 and 2014


It'll be fun to be a part of our state Democratic Convention this year. It's been a long time since my last turn as a delegate. I'm excited that in 2014, though we face tough races, we have two competitive candidates in Jason Carter (Governor) and Michelle Nunn (US Senate).

One of my prized political items (I collect them) is this ribbon and letter that were my "Daddy Shaw's" credentials for the Georgia Democratic Convention a few months before I was born. Of course, as the letter indicates, Talmadge evidently was pretty generous with credentials for the 1946 convention, and used them to drum up votes to defeat a measure he opposed. Talmadge would die in December and the next year would prove very entertaining as Georgia witnessed its famous Three Governors Controversy.

I suspect this document indicates that my beloved Daddy Shaw, one of the finest men I've ever known, would have, unfortunately, sided with ol' Red Suspenders' faction. 





No comments:

Post a Comment