Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Gleaning Facebook: My Mother

Mother several decades ago.

What a treasure is my Mama, Ruth Baird Shaw. I always had the youngest Mom. I remember her 30th birthday. (I thought that sounded awfully old.) But people always took my gorgeous mother to be considerably younger that she actually was. They still do. She doesn't seem to mind us bragging about her age, nowadays. She's 92. And she is still active, independent, paradoxically strongwilled but meek and unassuming. She still blogs, Facebooks, writes. She published a book of sermons last year and has another one in the works now. She is still an amazing cook. I have always admired her and that admiration has grown through her brave remaking of her life and career after my father's death. As a 63 year old widow she returned to school, answered the call to full-time ministry, and blessed the lives of hundreds through Rico, Grantville, East Point Avenue, Trinity, Oostanaula, Lyerly and other Methodist churches. And for ten years or more now through her blog (Ruthlace) and her books.

I was not her first. She and Daddy practiced parenthood on Janice and Joan for several years before they perfected things with me. Later additions (Carol, Debi, Beth, and David) were noble efforts, but how does one improve upon perfection? 😉 Anyway, on this day, I am so blessed to once again wish my beautiful, kind, brilliant mom, Sarah Ruth Baird Shaw, a very happy Mother's Day.

Comments

Nancy Johal Singh Some one is a mama's boy and screaming out his love for his mom lol I love it:)
John Countryman Excellent tribute, Mr. Perfection!
Susan S. Carter
Such a beautiful tribute to Aunt Ruth from her HUMBLE son!
Jenny Sills
SO very true. SHe is a treasure!
Ken Freshour Sure love my seminary classmate.
Wendy Williams Yesterday her truly favorite son by another mother took her cruising in his model A Ford. You should be more careful about planning those out of town trips
Ruth Baird Shaw
Yes Terrell, You missed the Big Mothers Day News in Rome Yesterday...getting to see me ride with Wade in his 1928 Model T Ford!
Sheila Matthews Shaw
And, she is a wonderful mother-in-law!
Joan Shaw Turrentine You make it easy, Sheila. She (and we) loves you like a "blood" sister.
Jill Baird McCart Happy Mother's day, aunt Ruth. Terrell has plenty of reason to be proud of his mama. I pray you enjoyed your day.
Anita Stewart
You are correct - your mom is an amazing lady!
Sandra Popham
She is a beauty, and one of my heroes!
Dale Pickett What a beautiful way to share your Amazing Mother.I love her like family.Our roots run deep Porterdale Village Girls.Your Mama Baird was our neighbor..I will. Ever forget her and your Aunt Mary.
Joan Shaw Turrentine Wonder why this just showed up on my page today...

No comments:

Post a Comment