Friday, May 08, 2015

Sam Burrell

Sam Burrell was a fine man. 
As principal of Main High in Rome in the sixties he put up with a naive white college kid's clumsy efforts to understand the perspective of black kids and adults. I was writing a paper on race relations in Rome for Dr. Duvon Corbett's history class at Asbury College. Mr. Burrell cooperated with me as I surveyed his students and teachers about racial attitudes. He responded briefly himself in a letter. I also interviewed several other Rome leaders of the day, as well as "regular folks" and surveyed a group of white kids too. I always appreciated Mr. Burrell's cooperation then, and as a grown-up I learned to admire him as a fellow educator and as a civic leader in Rome.

Sam Burrell (from the Rome News-Tribune






Comments from the Facebook post:

Howard Smith: He was a true gentleman.

Frank Norris: I didn't have the privilege of knowing Mr. Burrell (we have been in this neck of the woods only since 2004). However, I do remember, with deep appreciation, Dr. Duvon Corbitt. (I was a history major at Asbury, in the mid-'60's.)

Terrell Shaw: I remember Dr. Corbett with appreciation ... and a fair amount of fear and trembling!

Tom Barclay: ALWAYS enjoyed my encounters with Mr. Sam -- he WILL be missed.

Sam Burnham: I was doing a journalism internship with Scrips-Howard when he ran for county commission. I got to see him with the cameras on & off and saw the same man in both situations. He was truly a gentleman and I had nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Burrell.

Laura Adams: I tried to share this post, Terrell, on the Main High Panthers group page, but it only posts the news article. I really wanted your comments, not the link. Could you "share" this post on that group page, please? It is a public group.

Jane Cox Slickman: I remember him as a real gentlemen

Jo Ann Thompson: When I first moved to Rome and changed schools to West Rome Junior Mr.Burrell was the first friendly face I saw I love and miss you R.I.P

Michael Burton: Yes as you remember we worked with him in improving race relations in the 1960s thru the youth council

Anita Stewart: Sam was a stable, dependable educator and community leader.

Ann Perkins Niemeier: He was a truly gentleman. He told me his grandparents were from Cave Spring & he knew ABC's in fingerspelling. He spelled it very gracefully! RIP Sam

Jenny Sills: A real gentleman!


No comments:

Post a Comment