Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Today at Arrowhead

 I am a very lucky guy. I get paid, not a lot but paid, to do what I love to do. Here is today at Arrowhead in pictures.




This my view as I begin work many morning.

Great Egret


This Great Egret tried to just join our class today. Just flew right up to the shore nearest us and began feeding. Sarah got these oictures while I taught.


Great Egret

Great Egret


Sarah Echols ALMOST got this one!





If you happened along when those seeds settled down in the mud, you might hear them saying: "Oooooooh, ahhhhhh, this feels good! I think I'll put down a root! I think I'll put up a shoot!" And there's a new Sycamore seedling."

A tall Sycamore's naked white branches stand tall like giant skeletons by the river in winter.

For my third graders I emphasize water dispersal for the Sycamore, and save wind dispersal for our talk at the clump of cattails on the beaver pond.

Zachheus climbed the Sycamore, though it was the European version. It disperses its seeds by wind and water. Those balls dry all winter like Christmas balls on the tree, then fall and burst and some seeds find a place to root along a stream.

When we reach the Aquatic Center, with kindergarten and third grade groups we "Build a Beaver". The beaver on the left is not really a beaver, believe it or not! We have given this little boy a beaver's adaptations: webbed feet, strong orange teeth, nictitating membrane over his eyes, nose flaps, a special scent, special oils, tough front paws, and that versatile tail.

Along the way we talk about the flora and fauna of Arrowhead and the marvelous adaptations that each organism has that enable it to survive here.

While half of each group that visits is having a lesson in the Education Center, I take the other half on a walk.



That's me telling a favorite old American folktale, Sody Saleratus, my regular third-grade tale to Pepperell's third-graders at Arrowhead today. I love my job and I have great co-horts in Vivian Davis Chesley and Sarah Echols and part of what makes the job so great is that my fellows love the job just as much as I do. I so look forward to these days when we have eager young kids and enthusiastic teachers out there with us. Today it was Ms. Headrick, Ms. Buckingham, and Ms. Hurst. Yesterday Ms Clay and Mr Vines. Three more days of Pepperell third graders. Then next week it's second graders. My second grade story is my old stand-by 'Possum tale.



No comments:

Post a Comment