Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Joyce Mink for Board of Education

As a teacher I want accountability. We have goals we must meet. Standardized tests are an important tool in measuring how we are doing in parts of our mission. BUT we must never forget that we teach complex human beings. Tests cannot be constructed that measure all aspects of the job. We need administrators, parents, students, and teachers who work together to evaluate how well we are accomplishing our mission.

Joyce Mink is an outstanding public school teacher, and public school parent, who can now lend her expertise, experience, character, and heart to the decision-making of Floyd County's school board. That will be a big plus for Floyd County Schools. I was very conflicted when two people I greatly admired were pitted against each other in the primary. So I kept quiet. Now Joyce is our nominee. I know Joyce well and I am confident of her character, her expertise, her experience, and her heart. I enthusiastically endorse Joyce Mink to help direct my beloved Floyd County Schools. I ask my friends to please help elect Joyce Mink.

  • Comments
    Chandler Gray
    Anyone who questions a teacher's "accountability" has never sat in a room of 28 hormonal 12 year olds who haven't had lunch or PE yet and tried to keep control, much less teach them something.
  • Joyce Taff
    Good luck
  • Mary Skates
    Good luck Joyce
  • Robyn Higgins Teems
    I am not sure what the answer to teacher accountability is going to be. One or two 20 evaluations was not enough. The new system seems like too much. But there has to be an accountability measure and it has to be better than what we had in the past. In the words of the great "Hal David" they are sending us the best that they have got. There has to be a way to measure student and teacher performance. I am just not sure Georgia has the answer yet.
    • Joyce Mink
      A climate of fear surely isn't the answer for teachers or students. And one standardized test isn't the answer either. Best case scenario I know of is to hire good teachers and let them teach. Remember higher level skills? No time for that any more. You know which teachers are teaching. Any administrator does. Teaching is a subjective profession and as such cannot be measured quantitatively. We have spent decades trying it and it doesn't work. Let's try combining a few valid tests with real teaching and serve our customers- the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment