Monday, June 27, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Rose of Sharon

I remember Rose of Sharon (Althea) from my childhood. We have several in our yard. I did not know that Althea and Okra are cousins but, as John writes below, look at the flower and fruit!

From John Schulz's Facebook:

Flower for the day--white althea. I have found that it takes quite a bit of practice to get a good picture of a white flower. This is after several tries. The althea is a tree form plant related to the hibiscus. Hibiscus and althea are in the same family as okra. I refer to althea as "fancy okra." If you don't believe me, check out the leaf and the fruit.


Comments

George Barton
Remember rubbing the pollen on the girls noses at recess in grade school?

Hallie Plitman Marker
One of my favorites. As I know you know, some people call it Rose of Sharon, which is what Steinbeck named a character from The Grapes of Wrath, and which is a reference to The Song of Solomon, though biblical scholars disagree on both the translation to Rose of Sharon from Hebrew and the type of flower referenced. But I never knew that hibiscus was related to okra!


John Paul Schulz
So, Hallie, you got your information from reading and I added the other part purely from observation.

But, Hallie, you did give us an excellent insight into the name of the plant and its history. Thank you.


Hallie Plitman Marker
First I loved the plant; Then I read. 


Hallie Plitman Marker
And your picture is worth 1,000 words.


Bill Barker
Thanks John


Michelle Mazzucco
Well, you certainly nailed THIS photo of a white flower!

My Grandfather named me for this flower...my first name is Sharon. And now I have a daughter whose middle name is Rose.....she is the Rose of Sharon!


Claudia Kennedy
It looks like it's related to the cotton plant too. Is it?


Carol Young
Loving this! ... (love okra too)... wish I could smell it !


Jim Tighe
I believe you. Beautiful flower, as is the hibiscus.

No comments:

Post a Comment