Friday, October 19, 2018

Gleaning Facebook: Stacey Abrams Rally at Schroeders

Rushed home from work to try to make it to hear Stacey Abrams at Schroeder’s. I walked from home and actually passed Stacey’s bus at the Fifth Avenue intersection with Broad Street and made it on time.



What an amazing, articulate, sincere, brilliant , priincipled but pragmatic governor she will make. There will be few on the other side who will vote for their nominee with anything approaching the enthusiasm that I feel for my nominee. No lesser-of-two-evils vote for me. I am thrilled to have such an awesome candidate to support. And that goes for almost the whole Democratic ticket. Charlie Bailey, who also spoke this afternoon, is a prime example. He would be head and shoulders above the opposition for Attorney General on experience alone! 

Though I was at the back, I was not far from the other door, where soon our magnificent nominee waited for her introduction.

Sheila was much closer to the stage and snapped this one. What an inspiring leader. If we can elect her, she will not only be a great leader for Georgia, she will represent the Empire State of the South on the national and world stage with an articulate and principled voice.

And I think especially of all the beloved little Georgia girls I have taught since 1971! What an inspiration to all of them and especially to the ones of color! We can elect, not only an outstanding intellect and principled leader, but as a bonus she will be the first Georgia Governor who is a woman and the first Georgia governor who is black! 

There were two or three from the opposition in the crowd and one interrupted with a shouted accusatory question about Stacey's financial difficulties --- I will be happy to have a governor who has experience with the kinds of financial difficulties I and many other citizens have faced!. Stacey handled the confrontation with grace and answered frankly and completely.

After the Stacey Abrams rally, Sheila and walked over to the courthouse and voted for the entire Democratic ticket --- especially proud to cast votes for Sarah Riggs Amico, John Barrow, Charlie Bailey, Evan Ross, John Burnette, and, of course, Stacey Abrams!

I am very glad I made it when I did. Had aI been a minute later I don't believe I would have gotten in. I sqeezed about three feet into the courtyard. I do not know how many were behind me in the long hallway or out on the street. I doubt there has ever been a larger crowd at Schroeder's Courtyard!

We asked Marsha Yancey Atkins to snap a pic of us before the Stacey AbramsSarah Riggs Amico banner. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment