Sunday, March 03, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: John on Preparing His Fib

John Paul Schulz is getting ready to compete in the 243rd Annual Big Fibbers Contest (during the Big Fibbers Storytelling Festival at the city auditorium here in Rome. He’s got some fierce competition from eleven other fibbers from five states! 

Getting ready for the Big Fibbers competition on March 16.
It's a rainy Sunday afternoon and I'm taking myself to school. I've learned some things today.
1. I learned that eight minutes is not a long time to introduce a character, set up a situation, and finish a story--especially if I pause for audience laughter (which I expect to do several times). Do you think the judges should deduct laughter time from total story time? I'm sure they won't.
2. And I have learned that a good short story is not at all the same thing as a script for a good storyteller story. That's what I'm working on mastering. I'm having to change the short story into a script. This concept is new to me.
But I shall persevere. "Never" is the best time to stop learning.
-John Paul Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment