Saturday, March 09, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: Memory

 This morning I noticed a post from Antioch Mackville United Methodist Church … Kenneth Riley, 83, of Mackville had died. And my 71 year old brain, which cannot call up the names of friends of many decades at times, instantly retrieved a sixty five year old image of a teenage boy from my father’s church in Mackville back in 1952-54.

I went to the Mackville yearbook. It was his senior year and my first grade year in that little First through Twelfth school. He did well for himself. Was a businessman, a farmer, and a banker. Married and raised a family there in Mackville and will be buried there. I moved to Griffin Georgia that year (1954). I think I’ve driven through Mackville once since then.
I think he would understand that, as a six yaer-old he was just a “big kid” in our church to me. I didn’t know him well then, and barely remember him now. Still it saddens me to see he’s gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment