Saturday, March 14, 2020

Back to Writing

My mother has always been a writer. At 97 she still lives alone ten minutes across town. We try to visit each evening.  I really enjoy our talks, usually about our church or our family (my two granddaughters especially) or about our lives in the different churches and parsonages of my Daddy's career as a Methodist pastor or about her growing up days in a mill village in Newton County. Yesterday she asked if I had written much lately and I had to admit that I have done very little writing excepting Facebook posts about politics mostly. So I thought I'd fit a little writing into every twenty-four hours since a big project has just fallen through --- though my wife would remind me that my list of very important stuff to do before my kids inherit my mess is lengthy and I really haven't the time.

I should follow this old advice of my own creation...

The Home Stretch
I haven't done my stretches, as I should.  
My verbs are wretched, stiff as wood.
My nouns are flabby with adjective fat,
wishy and washy as this and that,
gushy and gabby, fallen, flat. 

In the new year now, I highly resolve --
fervently vow -- baskets, buckets, of
rollicking, panting, working verbs,
stomping, splashing, dancing blurbs

to astound, aggrieve, prompt, perturb. 




Here's another...

Poetry
Don't get me wrong. 
I enjoy looking under the hood 
and kicking the tires, 
admiring the styling 
and color 
and detail.

I like knowing the history 
of the make 
and the influences 
that affected the designer.

But mostly I want 
to slide behind its wheel 
and cruise down the river road 
on this warm late April evening 
with the top down 
and Sheila 
nestled 
against my shoulder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment