Monday, March 16, 2020

Daffodils 2020

Publ
My Mother loves jonquils. I have been planting lots of them in recent years, partly so I have them available to take her bouquets during February and March. I tried to find the black & white photo of 5-year-old Terrell presenting Mother a milk carton stuffed with flowers I'd picked for her... mostly dandelions, I think ... about 1952. (No luck.) So I've been picking flowers for her for about 68 years. What a blessing to continue to visit with her as I enter old age and she nears the century mark (97 now). 

Here is a bit of verse I wrote for her long ago:
--------
Dandelions in a Milk Carton

Thank you, Mama, 
For nursing me and diapering me,
for a dry set of sheets when I wet another,
for the Bible story book and Uncle Remus,
for all five sisters and my little brother, 
And all the good eating stuff
Like biscuits from wooden bowls
and datenut cakes and lemon fluff,
and Russian tea and yeast rolls  
For Jesus-loves-the-little-children and Deep-and-Wide,
For walking to school that first day by my side
And for your loving smile when I came in a run
with dandelions in a milk carton for all you’ve done.

Another recent addition to the yard.

David Matheny
Reminds me of Jesus's encouragement to us not to worry ...the daffodils of the field don't.

Tersi Bendiburg
Lovely jonquils, memories, and poem!

These tall but small yellow blooms were here when we bought the place. I probably should dig 'em and separate 'em --- I've never fooled with'em since 1993.





 
I've really enjoyed these. I planted them maybe twenty years ago or more. They are beginning to fade (mid-March).



Landscape designer (and my former student) Thomas Humphrey planted several of these camellias a decade or two ago.

Thomas Humphrey
Hey Terrell Shaw! Glad to see the picture. And I still remember your reading of The Jabberwocky in class! Hope you are doing well!

Terrell Shaw
And I still have the wooden horse cut-out you gave me when you were a kid decorating my yard on the side of my shed. 





These are my 2019 planting --- big yellow trumpets.

When I planted these tulips long ago they filled in between some Encore Azaleas, but those did not last.


More of the Fall 2019 planting.


I love these large mostly white blooms... a years-ago planting.


There are many varieties of daffodils. I think I planted these only last year.



No comments:

Post a Comment