Thursday, March 10, 2022

First graders of 1953

 I have some fond memories of Mrs. Overstreet and her first grade class at Mackville School --- despite the fact that she swatted my bottom on my very first day of school in my life. There was no universal kindergarten in my day.  All these little darlings, including the woebegone fellow in the middle row in suspenders and a shirt decorated with images of the planets: six-year-old me.

I can only identify two people in this picture from the 1954 edition of the Thoroughbred, the yearbook of Mackville School, Mackville, Kentucky -- which included First through Twelfth grades.

How could Ms. Overstreet spank a fine little feller like this?



I have told the story of my first day of school to my classes many times over the years. One time --- over a decade ago now --- my student teacher videoed the story in two parts.




No comments:

Post a Comment