Monday, March 14, 2022

Floyd County Elections Putsch

 Rome made the Washington Post today and not in a good way in an article by Stephanie McCrummen. 


Vanessa Waddell has worked for 27 years at the Floyd County Elections Office.
I found her quietly efficient, business like, and absolutely evenhanded.
She has been treated shabbily by people who should know better.
(Detail from a photo in the Washington Post)

During the 2020 election cycle I got a first hand look at the election process as a volunteer observer. I watched the opening of absentee ballots. I watched some of the computerized counting of ballots. I served on the team of folks who adjudicated ballots that were in question for one reason or another. I participated as an observer in the hand recount of the ballots. I observed the electronic recount. In one instance I served with, of all people, Majorie Taylor Greene, to duplicate a single ballot that was accidentally mutilated. During the lead-up to the run-off I drove all over northwest Georgia to track down folks whose absentee ballots were, for one reason or another, in question, so that those voters could be sure that their sacred franchise was not squandered by mistake.

As a result of my experience I can say with great confidence that the 2020 election and its run-off were likely the fairest and most carefully scrutinized election of our lifetimes. The process was not with out a mistake or two, AS ALWAYS IN HUMAN AFFAIRS, but those mistakes were quickly found and quickly remedied.  Anyone who says that the election in Floyd County was decided contrary to the wishes of the actual voters is either ignorant of the process, blinded by prejudice, or lying through their teeth. 

I have now written several times about my experiences. You can read what I wrote at the time in the following four posts:


No comments:

Post a Comment