Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mr. Terrell of Arrowhead


I am so glad I have lived long enough to get to be Mr. Terrell of Arrowhead!

Today I visited a summer day camp program at Northside Elementary in Cedartown. I took my rodent box with beaver and squirrel mounts, a king snake and two tree frogs. My program probably lasted more than an hour but was broken up into several parts to fit the kindergarten/first grade audience.
One of our activities was to Build A Beaver. The beaver has his special teeth, tail, webbed feet, tough and manipulative front feet, extra eyelids, nose flaps, scent and oil glands, and a beautiful coat. We discussed the many advantages of each of these adaptations. Looks just like a beaver, doesn't he?
For our story I fell back on a sure-fire hit with this age group: "Sody Saleratus", a wonderful American folktale that I set in Armuchee.
And of course everyone enjoyed getting a close-up visit with Doser the King Snake.
They actually pay me to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment