Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Gleaning Facebook: Three Women For Commission

Monica Sheppard 


Sue Hamler Lee

Wendy Davis

Someone asked me who Monica Sheppard is "running against". I somehow lost that message so I'll just answer on my wall for everyone.

Monica will be one of several candidates for three positions on the City Commission representing Ward Two. Rome has an unusual system. (I do not like our system, but that's a discussion for another time.) The candidates must reside in Ward Two but ALL voters in the city limits can vote for up to three of the candidates. Only Monica and incumbent Sue Hamler Lee (Sue Lee) have announced so far. I expect our incumbent Wendy Davis will announce soon. The current third commissioner in Ward Two is Jamie Doss. I do not know whether he plans to run for another term.
When all votes are counted the three candidates with the highest number of votes will be elected. Therefore candidates do not "run against" anyone so much as they seek votes for themselves, and second- and third-place votes from the supporters of the other candidates.
Speaking only for myself, I don't think you'd go wrong voting for three women. If they all three win, we'll have a majority (5-4) female commission for the next two-years. Bet that would be a first for Rome.

Comments

Wendy Davis Well explained, Terrell. And I DO intend to seek re-election. Hoping to earn the support of enough voters to end up in the top three!

Monica Sheppard Yes, thanks for explaining it, I've gotten this question often! I have the greatest respect for all three current seat holders, but hope to have a chance to contribute a new perspective. Thank you!


Michelle Sims I agree Monica, I would love to vote for you but because I live in the county I can't.

Hilda Atkins Moore YES!!!

Dekie Hicks Thanks for explaining the system, Terrell Shaw. I've been confused by it for some time, actually. How do you find out what Ward you reside in? I looked on my voter registration, but didn't see anything there. I live in Summerville Park.

Terrell Shaw The wards are divided by the rivers. 

Ward 1 = between the rivers (Downtown & North Rome)

Ward 3= West Rome (from the rivers west including Summerville Park)

Ward 2 = South Rome & Old East Rome (South of the Etowah & Coosa rivers)

Dekie Hicks Thanks! That is weird about requiring the candidates all live in Ward 2! I wonder what the rationale behind that is?

Terrell Shaw Avoidance of controversy, protection of incumbents.

Ann Pullen Wards 1 and 3 are not up for re-election this time; they will be up for re-election in a couple of years.

Terrell Shaw Yeah, I don't like it because no one represents a specific area. They just have to live in it. I think each ward should elect their own reps.

Dekie Hicks Hmmmm. Wonder what was happening in Ward 2 long about the time these procedures were implemented? Has the city always had this form of government? It's Civics Lessons, y'all!

Terrell Shaw Once had nine wards I think, and individual races in each.

Terrell Shaw Nothing special about Ward 2, this is just the year for those three seats to be elected. The four year terms are staggered. Wards 1 & 3 were elected in 2015 and will be contested again in 2019.

Jean Filson Linos That would be great!

John Paul Schulz So I get to vote for three lovely ladies? Cool.

Debbie Moore I wish I could vote for you Monica!! Doug and I wish you the best of luck from Connecticut!

Monica Sheppard Thanks, Debbie!!!


Missy Bentz Me too!

James Schroeder I've been thinking about running the last two times. How do you find out what ward you live in? Is there any info available? I tried reaching out to the city commission but never heard back either time

Wendy Davis What do you mean that you tried reaching out to the city commission? You have my cell and email. Happy to help you sort out your ward residence.

James Schroeder Wendy Davis I know, I tried to set up multiple meetings but you were busy and I didn't know who else to contact. Not mad, I just don't know who to turn to.

Wendy Davis James, my apologies for not being available. Will try to call when driving back to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment