Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Bobby and Brenda Cagle


I had assumed this 1961 picture of Mother was taken on the steps of Jan & Gil's trailer in Wilmore. This morning I noticed there are names painted on the steps to the trailer "Mr. and Mrs. Robert Cagle". 


In searching on the internet for information on Bobby Cagle to include with the picture I discovered Brenda's obituary. She died just last month at 78. 

Since Bobby graduated from Asbury I suspect the trailer actually WAS in Wilmore. Mother do you remember where this was?

Y'all will remember this young couple from Watkins Memorial Methodist in Ellijay. Daddy performed their wedding ceremony I think. And Bobby was called to the Methodist ministry. 

Bobby, like all Ellijay boys I guess, was a trout fisherman. He was also a taxidermist. When Daddy took me fishing with them as a 12 year old or so, Bobby promised to use his taxidermy skills to preserve my first rainbow trout. I caught a tiny trout that day and Bobby made good on his promise. I treasured that silly mount for several years, but did take care of it as I should. It eventually had broken fins and tail and was a mess. I assume at some point my parents discarded it. 

Daddy was very proud of Bobby and his ministry. Bobby became a national leader among church camp leaders and was director of Camp Glisson for several years. We introduced our kids to him when Brannon first attended Glisson. Bobby was killed in a gun accident at Glisson in 1997. 

No comments:

Post a Comment