Friday, June 11, 2021

Hurrah for public servants!


There are some who hate government. In America government is, by its very definition, me and you the people. If it doesn’t work it’s our fault. We must take responsibility.

In the 21st century there are many things best handled by the people through our government, but we MUST accept our joint responsibility to keep that government responsive and responsible. We in Rome have a fine nine member elected commission which selects and oversees a city manager and his administration. They are not perfect, but I have a great deal of confidence that my voice will be heard when things need doing.
So I was not surprised that just a few hours after I called the folks at the solid waste department to report a pile of brush on the levee behind Avenue A there were two city employees out on this warm June day fixing that situation.
I hope we all have come to appreciate our ‘essential workers’ during the last year and a half. I sure do. Thank you to all the folks at Rome’s Solid Waste Department for the work they do day in and day out to make our community a great place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment