Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Storytelling with My Generation, and Even Older

Since late last summer I have regularly done storytelling at a memory care/ retirement facility. Each Tuesday I tell stories in thirty minute segments, to each of three group of seniors who have varying degrees of memory or physical disabilities. I thoroughly enjoy myself. One of the interesting things about these visits is that, after sixty years in Rome, many of these people are folks I have been acquainted with over the years: business folk, fellow teachers, fellow church members, etc. 

Today I had company. Ali, a Berry College student who is a Bonner Program intern with us at Arrowhead accompanied and took some pictures. Ali not only helps keep our animals fed and healthy, and the center clean, she also goes above and beyond -- to the extent of writing a grant proposal that would give us a new alligator enclosure. Her buddy, Bethany, was not able to go with us today but she also goes above and beyond the call. We at Arrowhead are very thankful for all the ways the Bonner Program at Berry College has assisted Arrowhead over the last nine years!

Here are a few of the pictures Ali took of my gyrations today as I told the story of "Why Mr. Anole Has Two Outfits". I can tell what I'm saying in a few of the pictures. I'll give those a cutline. Ali avoided photographing residents to protect their privacy.

Anole tried to use a snakeskin as a costume, pulling it over his head...

The Barred Owl way up in the Sweetgum tree listens to Anole's complaints.

Anole is waiting, waiting, waiting for prey...





Ms. Anole sees her husband coming down the road in another silly outfit...

The Barred Owl has a very distinctive call. 

Showing off Mr. Anole in his brown outfit.

Mr. Anole flaps his front legs to show off his new feathers...

Walking in a turtle shell turns out to be very awkward for Anole.




No comments:

Post a Comment