Thursday, September 03, 2026

Campfire Ghost Stories at Barnsley

Tonight was an example of what a joy I find in telling stories. The Barnsley Resort hired me to entertain a corporate group on the first night of their two-day annual planning retreat. These were folks from Southern Company offices in Gulfport, Birmingham, and Atlanta. There were 21 folks in a circle of chairs around a campfire and I told from inside the circle -- literally storytelling in the round. I chose to ditch the sound system so I could wander the circle and interact with the audience. I had a ball.
I chose two of my favorite stories that are partially set in Bartow County near the Barnsley Resort. I started with "Courting One More Time". I was very pleased with it. 
We paused for a few minutes while the group hit the resort's fancy snacks arranged on the table or assembled s'mores from the supplies on the pyramid rack. 
Then I followed with "The Lieutenant's Jacket". 
I finished up with a five-minute summary of the sad deaths associated with Barnsley that have spurred the many ghost sightings there and gave a closing admonition to ignore strange sights and sounds they might encounter during their two nights here. 
It was a very congenial and attentive group and was well organized and storytelling friendly. 

During the snack break I took a couple of pictures.

The snacks looked great! I did manage to sneak a small piece of key lime pie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment