Saturday, September 03, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Old ways Festival at Chieftains Museum


Fixin' to head back over to Cheiftains for another round of storytelling. Really enjoyed Christy Davis's Jack tales --- Strong Man Jack -should be "Con-Man Jack" and what I call Bremen Town Musicians, but she had a different name. I told "Sody Saleratus" and drafted Christy to join me in an impromptu recital of Jabberwocky. Fun!

If you are handy to downtown come on over. We start again at 2:30.

Christy Davis
"Jabberwocky" was so much fun! We do need to take that on the road. I had a blast today and now have two songs permanently stuck in my head.

Terrell Shaw
I tell my kids that "Sody" is the stupidest song, but "Way down yonder in the Yankity Yank" is in the running. I usually put "Abiyoyo" in second place... at least it has a definite job in the story. But then you need to understand that my poor students have to put up with the water cycle song (to the tune of "Frere Jacques") not to mention a Poison Ivy Rap, Declaration (ala The Fifth Dimension), Battle of New Orleans, Erie Canal, etc. etc. etc. And generally it is the mind-numbing ones that get stuck in my spinning noggin like a scratched LP with no plug to pull.

Terrell Shaw
Brenda, I also "cut" on and off the lights, "carry" folks to the store, if necessary, and, occasionally, make use of a paper "poke". And I will contend to my dying breath that any sensible person should be able to recognize the efficacy and grace of the second person plural personal pronoun.

Terrell Shaw
Reporting on the afternoon session: I told "The Foolish Frog" which I stole from Pete Seeger about 50 years ago now - the statute of limitations has run out. Christy told "Jack Seeks his Fortune" Then I came back with a silly old standby "The Tailor" and Christy told another Jack tale that involved the loss of a lot of teeth! We finished up with our joint encore recitation of "Jabberwocky" 
Christy is a wonderful storyteller.

Christy Davis
Thanks. I have always been in awe of your storytelling. Being able to share the stage with you is like being put into the big leagues (without the unflattering uniforms). Thank you for the compliment!

Debetells Sumtales AKA Debby Brown
 Thank you both.. you are both fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment