Friday, February 12, 2010

Gleaning Facebook: Snow Day!

My classroom garden (luckily the snow is covering the weeds)

-------------
Lynne Crothers Williams
Beautiful place. Where?


Terrell Shaw
I'm labeling the pics now Lynne. Their mostly along our nature trail at Armuchee Elementary and the nearby old CCC camp on the Berry Wildlife Management Area.


Jann Heaton Skeen
armuchee elementary! God's country!! Our katelyn is in mrs. Barcomb's class.


Terrell Shaw
Yikes!! I hope everyone knows that I know the proper use of "their", "they're", and "there"!! Ouch!!!
I'll be looking out for Katelyn, Jann.


Jann Heaton Skeen
she's katelyn shuler....our straight A's granddaughter! Haha


The nature trail begins

Our outdoor classroom in the snow.

I thought I'd see more tracks. Only rabbits.

Steps toward the back of the school from the brook.

Our second nature trail bridge, an Eagle project by former AES student Carsten Boehm.

Our third bridge, being built now by the vocational academy, will span the brook here so the students can follow the ridge back to the school from the farthest upstream point on campus.

This spot is actually just off campus on the Rudolph Patterson property.

This shelf of fungi on a dead tree provides resting spot for the snow.


On the adjoining Berry property the old railroad bed is smushed up by the lumber trucks and machines, busy even in the snow.

The pond at the old CCC camp is a favorite spot of mine. Fed by springs from Lavendar Mountain this little wetland is home to migrating waterfowl at times.

I like the reflections.

In my defense, I left out several pics of the pond.

I sincerely hope Berry doesn't decide to put a sub-division here some day.
--
Tracy S Lawler
Unreal looking - nature's beauty at it's best.


I thought it was interesting that the falling flakes show up so prominently in some of the shots.

What is so satisfying about reflections?

The lumbermen stayed busy through the snow.

Two small tributaries collect waters from the slopes of Lavendar Mountain to join our little brook then flow on through the most biologically diverse river system in North America to make its ever wider way to Mobile Bay.

This is one of my class spots along our trail. We call it the Pentepus Tree. The post in the foreground is one of the many numbered station bollards installed as part of an Eagle project by Aaron Martin. Eventually our children will write guidebooks to the trail keyed to these bollards.

My own footprints in the snow near the end of the return trail.

Our first bridge, an Eagle project by former AES student Jesse Crider. The two bridges were financed as part of the Watchable Wildlife grant that we received from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

I wanted to get this aerial pic of the bridge from the bluff. Bushwhacking through the undergrowth, I ended up with about a gallon of snow down my shirt around the neck. Brrr.

The trail ends up cutting through the new growth Virginia pine to the back campus -- a good spot to teach about forest succession.


Comments


Carla Byram
you went to school today anyway? you are amazing!


Terrell Shaw
Couldn't help myself. I wanted pics of the snow.


Carla Byram
me too ... and the roads seemed pretty good... you should have stopped by here and tossed a few snowballs with us!


Terrell Shaw
"with"? I know you and your daughter, Carla. Y'all just want a good target! 

pastedGraphic.png


Carla Byram
oh no - trust me - i don't stay out in the cold long enough to be obnoxious...


Terrell Shaw
<grin>



Wisteria in the snow.



Sheila and the Pruett's Lily.

The neighbor's fig tree.

Our backyard.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment