Sunday, November 01, 2015

Gleaning Facebook: His name is What?

When someone told me that some fellow named Abeed Bawa was running for City Commission, I just dismissed that as a Quixotic campaign. But, lo and behold, I talked with the guy on the phone, then got to know him in person, and despite the generational difference, and my discomfort with his thirty-something slang and off-beat humor, I discovered a thoughtful and optimistic guy. I think one 39-year-old who has an irreverent yard sign and slang slogan might just liven up our nine person City Commission. Let's admit it --their average age is much closer to my 68 than to his 39! Let's elect one young guy to the City Commission ----
---- even if his parents did name him Abeed Bawa!

--------------------------------

I plan to vote for Abeed Bawa for Rome, GA City Commission next Tuesday. While I may not see eye-to-eye with him on every issue, I think he will be a positive asset for Rome. He can bring fresh ideas and a fresh perspective that our city needs to move forward. Here are some reasons why I'll be voting for him:

1. In a conversation, he actually referred to voters as his potential "employers." Imagine that, a politician who understands who holds the real power and who works for whom.
2. He will push for more transparency and communication between commissioners and the public.
3.He's under the age of 50, which may make him the only candidate or commissioner to hold that distinction. We need new, younger perspectives in leadership.
4.He is pro-business, including small businesses, not just the big operators who are typically catered to by the commission.
5. He has a business and private sector background which is a needed perspective on the commission.
6. He's not beholden to the Rome power structure that typically drives or blocks everything that happens in town.
I hope you'll consider voting for Abeed, too.

Here are some other posts about Abeed:
"Vote for my ex husband! I know it seems strange, right? Although we don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, one thing I know he is great at is finances and business. He is extremely qualified to be our City Commissioner and I support him 100%. Abeed Bawa"


Now that's pretty impressive! Abeed has his ex's endorsement!


No comments:

Post a Comment