Sunday, November 22, 2015

Gleaning Facebook: Refugees

 I have many friends who disagree strongly about the issue of our very modest acceptance of a mere 10,000 refugees from Syria. Our refugee program has been very careful and these mostly women and children have been carefully vetted. Many, many more have applied than have been accepted.

Is it perfect? Of course it cannot be: it is run by human beings. But it is the right thing to help these people, for their sake, and for the message our help gives to the world: we will not be terrorized.
A stated goal of the terrorists is to push non-Muslims to react cruelly and fearfully toward, not just terrorists, but all Muslims, which in turn will push more Muslims toward the extremists. That is fact.
I love my family and friends who are pushing for ending acceptance of refugees, I have no doubt of their good intentions or sincerity, but they are wrong, and I am convinced to my toes: Those who react to terror as many have, including most Republican governors and presidential candidates, are unwitting allies of ISIS when they allow themselves to be terrorized into forsaking these refugees.


No comments:

Post a Comment