Wednesday, January 03, 2024

California New Year 2024: Day Fifteen

Still quarantined. We will visit withy Brannon and the girls at Oak Riparian Park -- very near here -- at one. John and Brannon tested again today and are still negative for Covid. I hope they can stay so.

We have just sat around working on our daily puzzles.

I have written about this little part of almost every day for me and Sheila at least once before:

Our primary puzzle is the New York Times Spelling Bee.

But we also so the little Wordle puzzle each day and share our results with Lillian and Brannon who also do it. Today I got Wordle in three tries:


Three tries is a great day. Two is close to a miracle. I had one of those earlier this week. 

Brannon and I play three other games: 

Worldle tests geography skills. I am strongest at this, but still bomb occasionally. Today it took me five tries to guess the shape -- United Arab Imirates. Ugh. Too many. Should have gotten it in a couple or three anyway.


I knew Tunisia was wrong but since I did not recognize the shape I needed to narrow the search area. Now I knew it would be something in the Middle East. Again I didn't think it would be Kuwait, but thought it would be near. Aha. It will be one of those Persian Gulf states that I do not know well. I am ashamed in retrospect that I guessed Qatar and Bahrain before the UAE. I was looking for a "hole" in UAE for the exclave of Oman BUT I should have realized that that exclave is not totally surrounded by UAE but is a coastal area. 


Quordle is a child of Wordle in which you work of four words at a time. Brannon is much better at this game than I am. She often gets it in 6, 7, or 8 of 9 possible tries. I am thrilled to squeak by with nine tries. I get an 8 frequently, but am thrilled to get a 7. Sixes are once in a blue moon.

Octordle allows 13 guesses to reveal 8 words simultaneously. 

-------

Sheila and I did find the park - Carlsbad's Oak Riparian Park - and our grandkids at one. All three were in prime form. We had a great time on the playground for quite a while before we talked the kids into a walk along the nature trail. We sold it as a walk to the Fairy Tree. Here are a few of the pics:














 Cerro de la Calavera - "plugged" volcano that last erupted about 22 million years ago.



Afterwards we went back to our quarters so I could tune in to the monthly meeting of the a Georgia Storytelling Network board of directors.

Sheila and I wanted to return to the beach for sunset, so Brannon agreed to meet us a a small playground right at the Coast Highway (at Cannon Street) where we could cross the street for a walk along the beach. As It turned out we walking there was not so comfortable so we enjoyed the blazing sky from the little park -- climbing the play equipment so we could get a peek at the grand Pacific. 

It was all well worth it. 











The girls loved their time there, digging in the sand and playing on the climbing apparatus and pretending school with ME as teacher. Strange lessons for First Grade (Clem insisted that it be First Grade and not Kindergarten.) We had a Spanish language class. Then recess. Then Music. Then a driving lesson and finally a aviation lesson.

After saying goodbye to the girls Sheila and I drove back by way of Cannon and College streets to Teri Cafe where we called from the parking lot to order take-out teriyaki. 

We took it back to the Carson house to eat. Delicious! I sure am glad that Covid does not seem to affect my taste and smell.






No comments:

Post a Comment