Monday, January 15, 2024

Dark Enough To See The Stars

 "...only when it is dark enough, can you see the stars." - Martin Luther King 

I see stars still today. Heroes. And we sure do need them in the darkness around us in 2024 as authoritarianism and racism beset us around the world and even in America -- and even in Rome, Georgia.

Tonight I was in a beautiful room on the boulevard in Rome named after Dr. King to celebrate his vision for social and economic justice. I stood with some of my stars. Sundai and Rick Stevenson. Bonny Askew. Alvin Jackson. Vincent Mendes. Shawn Harris. Terrell Shields. And others. I even held hands with one of my stars while we sang "We Shall Overcome." 

Come join some ordinary everyday American stars on Broad Street at 11:30 tomorrow morning. Stand up and walk a few blocks for the principles of Dr. King -- brotherhood and economic justice and voting rights -- right here in Rome, Georgia. 

[I wrote this in response to  today's essay about heroes by Heather Cox Richardson. Read that here.]



No comments:

Post a Comment