Friday, January 12, 2024

Richard & Teresa & Tipularia

There is a limit, I suppose, to how many hobbies a man can maintain. But I sure enjoyed my association with the Georgia Botanical Society (GBS). They sponsor many field trips and workshops each year all over the state. But since we live here in the wonderful biological diversity of Northwest Georgia there are many field trips in easy driving distance of our home here on the banks of the Oostanaula.  Whether its the cliffs of Cloudland Canyon, the Shirley Miller Wildflower Trail in the Pocket of Pigeon Mountain, the trails around Fort mountain, Holly Creek, and the Cohutta Wilderness, or --- right here in Floyd County --- the slopes of Whitmore's Bluff or Black's Bluff, the in-town trails at Marshall Forest, the flatwoods of Berry College, and the amazing Coosa Prairies near Cave Spring. 

So I joined the Georgia Botanical Society a couple of decades ago and really enjoyed my experience with those folks. I am sorry to say, however, I let my membership lapse. 

Recently I was contacted by Linda Chafin, the editor of Tipularia (the journal of GBS) about an article she was writing about Richard and Teresa Ware. I was very glad to tell her about those two dear friends of nearly sixty years and to share some of my memories and pictures. We lost Teresa last year to her long battle with cancer. As a result of that nudge from Linda I rejoined GBS and hope to attend a field trip or two this year. I'd love to return to Pigeon Mountain or the Coosa Prairies this spring. 

This week I received my copy of the 2023 Tipularia with its lead article about my friends. How I wish Teresa could read it.

Visit www.gabotsoc.org to learn more about the Georgia Botanical Society.






No comments:

Post a Comment